Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Writer’s Nest

My sister Quinn inspired this post. She was teasing me about a typo; I had meant to say “next paragraph” but what I actually wrote was “nest paragraph”, which she said made her think of nests of words, which in turn caused my contemplation of the writer’s nest.

I believe where you write is very important. Writing, like all art, is creative. And to be creative one must feel comfortable and inspired. This is different for every person. The trick is discovering what works best for you.

For me it’s a combination of a truckload of inspirational items, a pretty environment, and tidy surroundings. Of course, one person’s “tidy” may be another’s “cluttered”: I’m sure my desk would not be seen as neat by a persnickety writer. My definition of tidy is an absence of trash or dirt; I must be able to look out across the downstairs and see a sense of order. My office is in a corner of the living room, which means that entire space also must be kept up to my writer’s nest standards, which is probably a good thing.

“Pretty” to me means artistic. I’m a painter, so I need to have my area arranged in a pleasing manner; a recognizable color scheme, lights draped over silk trees just so, knick knacks displayed so that my gaze travels over them in a restful manner. Again, this is my “pretty”…someone else might say OMG, I could never work with all of those ceramic elves staring at me.

Finally, my writer’s nest must be inspirational. For me that translates into the correct music playing, (I match the music to the plot’s mood), framed book covers, and most importantly, photos of loved ones and the trinkets they have given me.

I do write when I’m traveling, but it isn’t the same…I just can’t get as much done. Perhaps for some authors composing on the run IS their place of comfort, but it isn’t mine. I line my nest with pretty items and records of my accomplishments, but mostly I feather it with tokens of love and affection. Beautiful things and success are great, but knowing I’m loved is even more so.

And ultimately, that’s what inspires me, because on some level isn’t every story about love?

Whew. I’d better switch my music before I dissolve completely into maudlin goo. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment