Saturday, September 26, 2009

The End

I just finished another book. By “finish” I mean it’s done as far as content goes…I still have tweaks and editing to do. But the story is done; only polishing remains. I feel proud and happy that I’ve completed another novel. But there is such a bittersweet sensation to coming to the end of a tale. You'd think I'd be jumping around for joy...I'm done with pushing through the conflict and the sheer tedium of wrapping up loose ends.

But things bubble up. I’m not sure if all authors do this, but at the completion of every book I worry. Was that my last one? Will I be able to come up with another plot/story/characters? Will it be good? I have all of these trepidations, even though I have ideas running around in my head all the time. I’ve never had a problem sitting down and beginning a new book. But I still fret. The time between ending a book and beginning a new one is unsettling.

The other sad feeling is the loss of the characters. I do write sequels and trilogies, but there are always some characters that never more will see the ink from my pen; their story is done. And even with people I use again, a part of their life is over. I can never revisit it again.

Much like life.

One of my favorite books is The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. It is a wonderful fantasy for many reasons; I love the descriptive passages, the unique duel setting, the characters, and the story. But what I think I love most about this book is the idea that the story truly is never ending; when Bastian closes the book the tale does not end.

That helps. I can imagine my own characters are living out their lives even though I’m not writing about them. I can visit them in my imagination even though they may never make it into another story. And, their moment of struggle and triumph are preserved forever to experience over and over again anytime I wish to.

A reminder of that came to me Friday. I received a copy of an anthology (A Time To , The Best of Lorelei Signal 2008). One of my stories, Sisters, had been chosen to be included. I sat down and read it again. It had been a long time. I found myself experiencing the characters as if I'd first written it.

Sigh. Back to editing.

But soon the beginning of a new book and a whole new cast of characters to meet. I can’t wait to discover who they are…





No comments:

Post a Comment