Monday, November 30, 2009

Yule Postcards


As a writer, all holidays inspire me. I've written a number of tinsel-y stories...some perhaps less tinsel and more spider webbish, but sadness too is part of the season. Yule contains both the light and the dark. For example, presents are given to express love. But did you know that gifts were bestowed long ago to reaffirm bonds in case loved ones did not make it through the harsh winter? Something to think about.

Here are some vintage holiday postcards that represent the joy and the mystery of this glorious season. I hope they inspire you.

**********************************************************************************
I picked these two because they are such iconic symbols of the season. And whatever your beliefs, many of the holiday trappings we enjoy are very very old. Evergreens and holly are two such decorations.




Here's a couple of quirky ones. Apparently seeds are a lot smarter than I thought. I'm thinking these pine cone people could tell a fine tale. I especially like the one with the doll. Or is she a doll???





Fairies and elves are very much a part of Yule. I love the poinsettia fairy woman. But these elves. Just what are they doing? Carting around cookies with tiny children on the top? Honey...the elves shrunk the kids...




Here's another one with cookies. This young man does not look happy. Who knew cookies could be so mischievous?



I included these next two because I think they represent the longing many of us have for warm weather during this time of year. Where is this boat going piled high with blooms? And what is the young girl contemplating? I have to say that although the holidays would not be the same if it wasn't chilly, a part of me dreams for fresh flowers and my toes in the sand.




And now the strange, weird, and somewhat disturbing. You knew I'd get to these. Here's a frightening clown. I never have liked clowns all that much. Just what's hiding behind that makeup? I really don't like this one. What's with the greeting? I don't want to get either a slap or a bang from him or his freaky little dogs.





Here's a happy cheery card. Don't worry, it says. Uh huh, sure.






OK, so why is the little girl in Santa's backpack??? Was she bad? Is she being taken away somewhere? The pink highlights are rather creepy too.





This one just floors me. A mummy Christmas baby? Actually, I think it's supposed to be the Christ child..."born natale" literally means happy birthday in Italian...they say it during the holidays. I still think it looks like a mummy. Or perhaps a bloody mermaid. Sorry. I do write horror stories.



Little Red Riding Hood meets Christmas. Or maybe three little pigs. (Have you ever noticed when the word "little" is in a fairy story title some unpleasantness will occur?) I believe this postcard is handmade. Even weirder.



This one is strange and funny. Let's lord it over others with our holiday greetings, shall we? But what a great story this would be!


Here's another funny one. I like this woman. She's obviously all set for any and all holiday occasions. Bill for the office party, Sam for the Christmas dance, and I think Percy will do just fine for that Hanukkah brunch. And then there's Antonio. Um. He's for in front of the fireplace...





Of course, the Yuletide holidays are filled with magic. Cards today don't seem to include enchantment as much as they used to. Check out this spell-like greeting.





Moon magic is especially nice during Yule, don't you think?


Elves again. But this time they are bringing luck.


I love this one. The enchantment isn't overt, but magic is definitely in the air. I wish I could get my hair to curl like this woman's.


And last but not least, a bit of romance...the best holiday magic of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment