Saturday, May 15, 2010

Green Writing

Green is a popular word these days. I even saw a commercial last night for “green” mouthwash. Heh? In all seriousness, I think going green is good. For those of us who grew up in the hippie era, it’s great to see the masses finally embrace the concept, with corporate America panting hot and heavy on those collective rubber heels.

Along with the greening of America has come the notion of helping more. Paying it forward is a common expression heard nowadays. This too is a hopeful sign for society. I’d hate to think we were devoting more attention to plastic than to people.

Unfortunately, along with this heightened social consciousness has come a bit of what I would call “holier than thou” lecturing. My green is better than your green. Heaps of green “shoulding.” Carrying around a plastic water bottle while hiking is almost as bad as wearing fur at a PETA convention.

Do I recycle? Do I try and keep my “footprint” small? Yes. Yes. Could I do more? Yeah, me and everyone else. I’m trying, OK? But what I dislike even more than an environmental or activism goading is the dig against not helping people enough. I suppose I get this admonishment because I worked as a psychologist. People have called me selfish for chucking this “noble” profession and writing fiction. Don’t I care, they’ve asked. Really. They have.

I could argue that I’ve done my time. Being a shrink is draining. I could say that I still do help people. Gratis. More importantly, I could add that it’s very important for me to have some sort of positive message in my fiction, albeit non lecturing. I don’t want to be Ayn Rand. Love her books, get tired of the political posturing.

I could say all of that. (I guess I just did.) But besides wanting to get it off my chest, I don’t have to justify. Because even if my fiction didn’t have a message, even if I didn’t help people, even if I never recycled another freakin’ plastic bottle, I’m providing entertainment for people.

Entertainment is very important. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read a dog eared book, watched an old TV show, or shoved in a favorite movie to feel better. I believe one reason we place movie stars on such high pedestals is because of our recognition of how much we value distraction in our daily lives.

So. If you’re a writer the next time someone calls your profession “frivolous” look them straight in them eye and ask them what was the last book they read, TV show they watched, movie, whatever. Somebody wrote, or wrote for, all of those options.

And hey, if you buy books electronically you can even read green.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment