Sunday, December 26, 2010

The New Year Ahead



I don’t make resolutions as such; if I decide to change something I do it no matter when it is. What I do instead is make statements of what I want to happen during the coming year. I used to call them wishes, but that sounded too iffy and as if I were waiting for something or someone to grant them.

I do think that there is someone or something out there that does some wish granting, but like that old lottery joke I believe you have to help. You don’t know the joke? It goes like this:

A man prays long and hard about winning the lottery. Finally God appears to him and says, “give me a break…buy a ticket.”

I love that joke because it acknowledges the divine yet it also recognizes your part in achieving what you want. God, the Goddess, the Force, the Source, The Unknowable, whatever you call it can’t help you unless you help yourself, and that’s where declarations come in.

So. I begin every year with these sorts of statements. Here is how I do it, although I don’t in any way say it’s the only or best way.

1) Make them positive. You can do negative, as in I don’t want this to happen anymore, but I believe positive ones are more powerful.

2) Make them about you and your behavior. You can’t control others (or publishing companies and literary agencies), but you can control you.

3) Make them specific. It’s hard to work towards a nebulous goal, and if anyone is listening out there, do you really want that something to guess what you want?

4) This one might sound like a contradiction to three but I don't think it is...allow the Universe to intervene. What you are asking for may not be in your best interest. Or, there may be something better you never imagined.

Being a writer means you have to be very focused. If nothing else, declarations help you to do that. At best, Pinocchio’s Blue Fairy will bring you exactly what you want in the coming year. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment