Sunday, January 9, 2011

Holly and Ivy



The holiday decorations are packed away, the presents are opened, placed, consumed, or forgotten about, and in my part of the country the winter has set its teeth into the ground and my bones.

But an early birthday gift thawed my chilly skin and melted my heart…my niece and nephew found and presented a book to me that I hadn’t read since I was a child: The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden, illustrated by Adrianne Adams (cover above).

The book is about the power of wishing. It is a sweet and magical story with wonderful characters. But what I love most about this seemingly simple tale is how the author presents the strength of yearning in such few words. She doesn’t have to tell you what Ivy experiences …you feel it through her actions and wishes…and through Holly’s, Peter’s, and Mrs. Jones’.

I love this book so much. I read it again, even though the Yuletide is past. It was the perfect gift from two very sweet gift givers.

And that makes me love the book even more. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment