Tuesday, July 19, 2011

White Space


I just finished a post on Gary and my dance blog entitled white space; specifically, the space between notes in music or the space between dance steps, and how both are not empty, but meaningful and profound.

Then, as often happens, I contemplated about how white space applies to other art forms. Since I draw, I’m acutely aware that sometimes too much going on can ruin a painting; there has to be “white spaces” in order for what’s important to stand out and to give the viewer resting places.

My thoughts drifted to writing. Stories need “white spaces” too. All conversation or action scenes can be tiring. Conversly, too much description is sometimes boring.

If action and conversation are the notes, then perhaps settings and explanations are the peaceful white spaces in between. The trick is knowing where to put them in, and sometimes, when to take them out.

And understanding that one person’s white space will always be another’s yawn. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment