Friday, October 14, 2011

Stacy's Mom



In most stories there’s an arc, or as I like to call it, The Something Build Up, The Something, and the Something Aftermath. Usually the arc involves an internal or external conflict with the main character, or, when the protagonist Learns An Important Lesson.

I capitalized, because the trick is not sounding condescending. The best fiction gives a sly wink to the reader as in I know that YOU know what’s going to happen, but the poor schmuck in this book that's about to get whacked doesn't without making said schmuck seem too silly or stupid.

I think this is true for all fiction, but perhaps even more so with young adult fiction. I’m about done with another YA book, and this concept has been on my mind. Most of the conflict for this age group revolves around the young person thinking he or she has it all figured out, but then…whack. Gentleness is especially important here, both for the young readers, but also for older readers remembering their own childhood.

For example, in an episode of (geek alert) Star Trek Next Generation, Wesley (a child prodigy) believes he can master a complex and forbidden aviation move that has been banned because it is dangerous. He does it anyway and someone is killed. Afterwards Wesley is still surprised he couldn't do it, yet ashamed at his part in his friend's death. The writer masterfully illustrates youthful bravado without making Wesley seem ugly.

There was a song out a few years ago by Fountains of Wayne that perhaps does this even better. I love this song because it’s funny and poignant at the same time; the lyrics reflect amusement at the over confidence of youth, but at the same time are fondly reminiscent.

I get the feeling that someone in that band was once in love with Stacy’s mom…

Stacy's Mom

Stacy, can I come over after school?
We can hang around by the pool
Did your mom get back from her business trip?
Is she there, or is she trying to give me the slip?

You know, I'm not the little boy that I used to be
I'm all grown up now, baby can't you see

Stacy, do you remember when I mowed your lawn?
Your mom came out with just a towel on
I could tell she liked me from the way she stared
And the way she said, "You missed a spot over there"

And I know that you think it's just a fantasy
But since your dad walked out, your mom could use a guy like me

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want and I've waited for so long
Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Stacy's mom

No comments:

Post a Comment