Monday, July 23, 2012

The Final Frontier

I love Star Trek in all of its reincarnations and adaptations; I even watched the cartoon series with great fervor. I love reading sci-fi too. I’ve written some short sci-fi stories, but until now never attempted a novel.

Why? It’s hard. And it’s not my bailiwick; fantasy worlds also must be constructed, but I know my fairies. I’m also fairly well versed in world religions, so with a little research, I can successfully add a spiritual element or two in between the elves and dryads.

But sci-fi…whew. Aliens have to make sense; you can’t have them be all bug eyed and green skinned and then have them prancing around on earth, um, someone would notice. The science has to make sense. A unique culture must be invented. Language. Arts. Social mores….eeeeeeek.

But I’m doing it. Sci-fi is something I haven’t done yet. Since I've read a lot of it, at least I’m familiar with the genre. And, although I can’t add fairies, I might just be able to sneak in my signature spiritual bit.

It’s scary. But I’ll try to boldly go where I’ve not gone before…

No comments:

Post a Comment