Monday, June 17, 2013

Dino Part One



In my quest for summer reading and keeping to my budget, I'm interspacing current with classic. Budget-wise you can't get a better deal than classic literature...it's free or nominal. After the Oz books I decided to tackle some SF greats, and found a collection that all hover around the dinosaur theme, namely, all three of Edgar Rice Burrough's Caspak novels (The Land that Time Forgot, The People that Time Forgot, and Out of Time's Abyss), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, and Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

I've read Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but the others I had not. I know of them of course, and have seen various TV and movie adaptations and so was eager to try.

I finished the last of the of Edgar Rice Burrough's last night and was pleasantly surprised. For being so old, they are still fresh and exciting, even though much of the science is outdated and the prose is written past tense journal-style. I wasn't as pleased with the idea that as man evolved he became more Anglo looking, and the women, although "plucky" (his word), often must be saved. Even though some of the floundering women have lived in the jungle all their lives. Sigh.

Even so, I enjoyed them. It's fun reading the foundation literature that both sci-fi and fantasy come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment