Monday, July 8, 2013

More Classic Stuff

Just finished an awesome set of books by Andre Norton. The set included: Storm Over Warlock, Star Born, Star Hunter, Plague Ship, Voodoo Planet, The Gift of the Asti, and The People of the Crater. I had read the Solar Queen books when I was young, but found I enjoyed them just as much today as I did way back then. The others I hadn't read...or at least, I don't remember if I did. :-)

Some of the science is dated of course, and old fashioned names like "blasters" abound, but considering some of these stories are fifty years old they read amazingly well. There is also something quite nostalgic about a story such as The People of the Crater, in which a pilot discovers an alien civilization living beneath the polar ice cap. Back then the earth still held so many secrets that a book like this would not have been considered silly when published. I don't for a minute wish for those days to return, but it must have been exciting to dream about mysterious far away places on our own planet...mysterious enough to hold an entire civilization underneath our feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment