Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Review

I’m in my final edits of my latest book. Have I said I abhor editing? Yes. I believe I have. So. It doesn’t take much to distract me; most any shiny object will do, including a good book. But putting off my least favorite writing chore was not the entire reason I finished Night Bites almost in one setting.

The complier (or editor, as she calls herself here), is Victoria A. Brownworth. It’s obvious what the collection is built around: Night Bites? That can pretty much refer to just one creature. And the fact that a woman with pointy incisors graces the cover.

Ms. Brownsworth states this anthology of vampire stories is different. She promised views from various cultures, time periods, and orientations. Hummmm. I’ve read about a million vampire stories. How different could they be?

But they were. The are all chilling. (This is a vampire book, after all). Some of the stories go way beyond chilling; just when you think no, the author isn’t going to go there…she does.

She. These stories are all written by women. And that is the most compelling thing about this book. All of these tales represent the alien feeling, the otherness, and the pariah of society quality of the vampire; something that most women feel at some point in their life within our culture. Interesting enough, not only are these stories all written by women, the vampires created are also mostly female.

The female vampire is so fascinating; she is dangerous and irresistible, she is simultaneously old and young, wise yet driven by her needs. And it doesn’t matter how fragile she looks, she can overcome the even the most powerful. She often plays with men like a cat with a mouse; sometimes giving the illusion that her prey is stronger, but she is in always in control.

Women, I think, will find this book strangely satisfying. Men may find it frightening.

Within these pages is also the whisper of sisterhood; the Illuminate of the female gender. Brotherhood usually describes all of humanity. But sisterhood…that’s for women only. And we know what that means. Even if we don’t have superhuman power, we have own magic. And we are linked by our struggles as much as those eternally questing creatures of the night.

What’s your type again? Ah. O negative. Ummmmm…my favorite.

Moohaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment