Thursday, October 22, 2009

Inspiration

Writers gather their inspiration from many sources: paintings, travel, a walk in the woods, music, conversations, movies, other works of fiction or non fiction…the list is endless. I use all of the above, and I would also add seasons and holidays.

I live in Indiana. A friend of mine once said there are only a few days one can be comfortable outside here; otherwise it’s too hot, too cold, too humid, too rainy. I understand, although I love the changing seasons, especially this time of year. I believe autumn in Indiana would be considered one of those few times it is glorious outside; the crisp cool air is invigorating, not to mention the stained glass leaves against cobalt blue skies.

And then there’s Halloween. I love everything about this holiday; the weather, the costumes, the pumpkin carving, morning mist, renaissance fairs, hayrides, campfires, corn mazes, and that inherent spookiness that arrives with no other celebration. My husband I love it so much we got married on Halloween.

As a writer, I often look for inspiration around this holiday. I’ve written several short stories with a Halloween theme. I often prod my imagination with vintage Halloween items, especially postcards. Back then no one seemed to think Halloween was evil…just magical, mysterious, and fun. Not to say if you're not careful trouble may find you, but that's true of any holiday. Here are a few postcards to perhaps jump start your creativity:


******************************************************

There are lots of vintage postcards with pretty witches, which I think is rather neat. As Samatha on Bewitched once said, not ALL witches have warts on the end of their noses. :-) Here's a fetching example on her way to a dance...but what kind of dance? The verse says "spooks from far and wide" will be there. But who else? Her love? Is her boyfriend a spook? A story in the making.



Of course, a pretty face can hide all sorts of undesirable character traits. Get a load of this tricky witch; what could you compose about her???




An interesting Halloween tradition of times past was for women to gaze into a mirror and hopefully see their future mate. Here's a lovely woman doing just that. So...what is her intended like? Where will she meet him? He is human...mohaha.




A black cat is such a Halloween icon. This one looks like he has something up his paw. He appears quite dapper. Too dapper. I think he's an enchanted man that got too fresh with one of those pretty witches. :-)


I choose this one because it reminded me of the Munster's family car. This image is so funny. Where is this crew going? Are they all friends? Or did poor hapless Mr. Pumpkin man pick up some hitchhikers he wished later he hadn't...


I liked this one because it reminds me of Disney's the Sorcerer's Apprentice. See? I do like Disney. Sometimes. Anyway, these corn stalks could tell a fine tale, I'm thinking.



Here's a spookier one. This one gives me the creeps. What happened to this sweet child? Will she have a pumpkin head forever? Or maybe she isn't so sweet...maybe she's trying to draw you closer and closer to her bed...



Here's a spooky one about goblins. Read the greeting: The goblins are coming and they'll get you, and I certainly hope they will, for the letter you promised so long ago, is only a promise still. It makes me wonder, to say the least, why someone was so angry over an unsent letter. Did that someone have power over goblins? It sure looks like it. Brrrrrrrr.



I liked this one because it's spooky and because I think it looks like Transylvania. I can see ghosts floating over this darkened metropolis, honing in on its towers and spires via the glowing pumpkin.


This one is cool because it seems like a transition between Halloween and Christmas. Wouldn't the combination make a great story?

I love these postcards. I think I'll do it again for the Yuletide season.

No comments:

Post a Comment