Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ebooks and The Kindle

When I sold my books I had several people say “let me know when you’ve sold a “real” book because I don’t read things electronically.” While that was a bit hurtful… Ebooks are very much “real” books and some might say the wave of the future… I understood. It is hard to read books on the computer and costly to print.

And then came the Kindle. Trouble is, my publishers didn’t sell via Amazon, so my novels could not be read on the Kindle.

Until now.

Amazon, in its infinite wisdom, now has the technology to enable you to do just that. So…if you’ve wanted to read one of my novels and the only thing holding you back was Kindle inadaptability, you can feel free to read one. Or two. Or all. :-) My publishers are all listed on my website. You buy the book there and then send to your Kindle.

Below are the directions. My husband, the computer geek, tried the Amazon ones and edited them to how they actually worked, including that there is a small fee (a couple of bucks) to send to the Kindle which they don’t tell you about even though the address contains the word "free."

I’m also going to put these directions on my website under the “FAQs”.

Wow. I’m actually becoming Gadget Girl.

How to Convert Ebooks to Kindle:

1.Open a new e-mail message in your e-mail client.

2.Check to make sure the "From" address you are using is on your Kindle approved e-mail address list (see Manage My Kindle on Amazon’s site).

3.Enter the desired Kindle e-mail address in the "To" field. Use the "name"@Kindle.com address for wireless delivery, or "name"@free.kindle.com for free delivery to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account.

4.Attach your document or documents to the e-mail message. If you are sending multiple files, you can compress them into a .ZIP file.

5.Send the e-mail with attachments. A subject line is not needed.
a.Personal documents below 5 MB in officially supported file formats are typically delivered to the "name"@Kindle.com e-mail address within 5 minutes (per document). Personal documents above 5 MB may take longer.
b.Personal documents below 5 MB in officially supported file formats are typically ready for wireless auto-delivery to your Kindle within 5 minutes (per document), not including actual wireless download time, which will vary with file size. Personal documents above 5 MB may take longer.
c.Personal documents in other file formats (such as PDF files) may take longer.
d.Your e-mail provider may have additional limitations on file size.

Note: You must have your Kindle account set up for receiving emailed documents. This includes selecting a method of payment for received files.

No comments:

Post a Comment