Monday, April 26, 2010

Write What You Know….Maybe



“Write what you know” is one of the more common writer’s maxims. I think there’s some truth to that; penning tales about where you live, what you do, or things you’ve experienced gives a realism that is very evident in your words. And, it’s easier. I don’t have to check much when I write about the Midwest, psychology, or learning how to dance. Been there, done that.

But what about writing outside your experience? Well…science fiction and fantasy writers have done that for decades. The caveat, of course, is that these places aren’t real…at least, as yet they are not proven. And so created aliens can drink chortap and feast on whila bread to their green heart’s content.

Actual places are a different story.

The current book I’m writing takes place in Malaysia (hence the guide book I’m reading). It’s been an interesting journey. A while back I decided to write a novel about two women in one body. I’ve always been interested in the Hindu goddess Kali, who also has a duel aspect. And then I read an article about child slavery in Malaysia which horrified me. (I’m not targeting Malaysia. Slavery happens in many places, I just happened to read this article.)

And so all of those things combined and cooked. I resisted for awhile; I knew this would be a big project because there was so much I didn’t know. Needless to say I don’t have the experience of sharing my body with another soul, but I could create that…I don’t know anyone who would call me on mistakes. :-) However, although I know a bit about the Hindu religion, I’m no expert. I knew absolutely nothing about Malaysia. I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t even know exactly where it was, let alone anything about the food, the culture, the politics except some current sound bites about Tamil Tigers.

And here I am writing a book set mostly in Kuala Lumper and the surrounding jungles. Hard work? Yes. Every time I want to say something like “so and so met in a nearby coffee shop” I have to stop and do research. Do they have coffee shops? If so, what are they like? How do people greet one another? What do locals wear? And all of that for one small paragraph.

I like researching new places because I learn so much. Also, I think when something touches you the way that article did about children sold into slavery, I believe you have to go with it.

Maybe that writer’s rule should be write about what speaks to you, whether that is the tried and true or something more exotic. I love including the Midwest in my stories; it is my home and part of me. But the shivery excitement that comes from immersing myself into a foreign place is also wonderful.

The cool part about writing is you can do both. Writing can be as comfortable as an old shoe, or fling you out into the galaxy. What other profession does that?

Sigh. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment