Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cleaning

My sister dubbed me a clothes horse years ago, and as Garfield the cat would say, I resemble that remark. I retorted that I found my stuff on sale, the Goodwill, and more recently on ebay …there’s nothing like the thrill of finding designer jeans , tags ON, for a song. She replied back well yes, but that doesn’t change how much stuff you have. Very true.

So now and then I do a giant sorting and clearing out. It’s no fun to do, but it feels good when I’m done.

I do the same with my writing records. I’ve finished editing my new book, The Prodigy, and that same sister is now editing it. (She is my first and best editor). I’ve completed the synopsis and cover letter. I’m not ready to start a new book…the contemplation phase is still going.

So what to do…besides holiday stuff? It's time to do some cleaning. I check over where all of my manuscripts are, and how long respective peoples have had them. One needed a polite ahem, are you still looking at it? Another had passed the allotted time with no answer (unless you are dealing with a particular person or you have sent materials, silence means no). So I found another place to submit that one.

Being a writer means you own your own business, and no one but you is going to remind you that these tasks need tending to. A manuscript in limbo is a story that isn’t published. And it gives a sense of control to a business that often feels like the writer has no control.

Just like eliminating those beautiful, designer shoes that hurt my feet. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Tried to send message to the email link above but it came back saying it no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete