Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review

I just finished Dragonhaven by one of my favorite authors, Robin McKinley. She isn’t everyone’s favorite. Some people say she doesn’t explain enough about her worlds. That she leaves loose ends. Sometimes unfulfilled endings. And OK, there’ve been times I wanted more explanations. Or a wrapped up ending.

But I forgive her for any and all of the so-called mistakes because she writes so wonderfully. Although…when I first started Dragonhaven I wasn’t blown away with the character or story. And the author’s familiar frustrating here-we-are-in-our-world-with-ebay-and-current-news-yet-exactly-why-are-there-dragons-and-how-did-they-arrive is in effect. I thought hummm…perhaps the first book of hers I won’t love? But then it happened. That sneaky, snaky spiraling of words that always draws me in. Slowly. Without me knowing it. And soon I can’t put the book down until I’ve finished it in one big gulp. Which by the way, is one of the dragon’s names.

Perhaps one “downside” to creating such beautifully written worlds and stories is that the reader wants more. If I had to choose between too much information and not quite enough, I’ll choose the mystery any day. Sigh. I still wish Dragonhaven had gone on longer…

No comments:

Post a Comment