Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Favorite Things


Feel free to sing along:
Me in my pjs awaiting an answer
Could it be I have word smithing cancer
Waiting around for a note from afar
Maybe I should be alone in a bar…
When “dear author” comes
Or “not right for them”
When I’m feeling bad,
I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don’t feeeeeel…so bad.

Sigh. Did I say getting an agent was hard? So here’s how it goes. You first get a quick slew of heartfelt notes titled “Dear Author.” The good part is it’s obvious no one read the query, so at least you know they don't think your story sucks. The bad part is… no one read the query. Then you get some “this sounds cool but not right for me.” Maybe they are lying about the cool part, but at least a human read it. But still, no agent.

Then you sit patiently for a couple of weeks before sending out another batch. That’s what I’m doing, in the hopes someone will want to read chapters. Most agents don’t write back if they don’t want it. So I’m waiting. But I don’t like it.

But back to my favorite things. Tomorrow is my birthday. I love my special day, which hasn’t diminished over the years. If anything I’m worse now than I ever was, claiming the entire month to myself. I call it Kelly’s Birthday Season.

So even though finding an agent is depressing, I still love my life. I have many things I look forward too, even though I’m at that age I imagined was near death as a kid.

I think a happy attitude is good for everyone, maybe especially for writers. It’s hard. It’s frustrating. But you can’t put your life on hold just because an agent has put your book on hold.

Yeha!!! I can’t wait for tomorrow!!!
And to anyone who's not yet gotten me a gift, a boat trip would be nice. I want the swans though.

No comments:

Post a Comment