Friday, March 19, 2010

Twilight Book Review

I’ve waited to start the last three books in the Twilight saga. It’s not that I haven’t been reading…I always read. I love magazines too: Discover, Scientific American, Smithsonian, are you convinced I’m smart yet? OK, because I also love fashion mags: Lucky, Marie Claire, Vogue, Allure, and many others.

But anyway. I have put off the Twilight books. Not because I didn’t want to read them. Quite the opposite. I knew from my first book experience that I would devour them whole, and I wanted to get a few writing chores done. I started the last three books a few days ago and just finished. I’ve put off many things in the meantime: cleaning, errands, calling people back, and exercising.

I simply could not put these books down. Which has caused me to think about just what makes a good story. As many fans as Ms. Meyer has, there are many, mostly wannabe literary critics, who believe she doesn’t write very well. It is true there are more than a few typos. This is significant, because as I’ve stated many times in the past, I am not the best typo catcher. There are also too many gooey-eyed bits with Bella and Edward for my taste. And her use of language doesn’t compare, in my opinion, to the likes of Tanith Lee or Ursula LeGuin.

But Stephanie Meyer has something. Is not being able to put her books down a definition of good writing? I’ve been thinking a lot about that.

I’ve come up with some reasons why I believe so many people are fascinated with her creation. First, even though the descriptive prose was not exquisite, it was compelling. I was there; experiencing the Washington mist, various vampire hangouts, high school, and Italy among other destinations with crystal clear clarity. The lush descriptions, if not beautiful, were so real I could taste, see, touch, and smell them. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been so there in any books I’ve ever read. That’s a talent. And a pretty awesome one.

The second reason that kept me glued to the Kindle was the plot twists and turns. Yes, I guessed some of what was happening, but sometimes you do have to use the gun if you’ve shown it, so those correct guesses were more like an itch scratched. Other happenings I was totally unprepared for, yet each surprise was “fair” in that when I thought back (or checked) they were subtly foreshadowed, and very nicely.

The third, and most important aspect, was that I could not wait to see what happened to these people! Will Bella become a vampire? Which man will she chose? HOW WILL IT ALL END??? I was absolutely riveted. I couldn’t move. I had to make myself eat. And go to the bathroom.

Are they the best books I’ve ever read? My analytical side says no; there are many examples of better literature. Even better written vampire books, in my opinion. But…my emotional side says I’ve never read anything so compelling in my life.

I think I’ll just stay here in the question. And hope that maybe, just maybe, I can capture some of that in my own books.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m really hungry. For food, that is. Moohahahahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment