Monday, October 18, 2010

Maxfield Parrish

A reader asked if I did the painting from my last post. Um, no…but thanks. I wish. That wonderful painting is by Maxfield Parrish, my very favorite painter in the world. He is, in my opinion, THE painter of light, even though a modern artist has claimed that title.

He was a famous illustrator in the early 1900s into the 20s and 30s and even worked late in life. His paintings are still loved today. He dabbled in many subjects, including fairy tales. The painting I posted last time was his version of Cinderella. I like the way he portrays Cindy, young and lovely yes, but this Cinderella is not a teenager, she is a woman...a woman who knows what she wants.

Parrish portrays all of his woman like this…beautiful, but you can see personality there, too. His women can be powerful, free, strong-willed, fun loving, or contemplative, you know, like a human being instead of just a gorgeous woman.

Check these out. These are just a few of his many many paintings and illustrations. Like a good book, Maxfield Parrish takes you somewhere else, somewhere magical. Sigh.












No comments:

Post a Comment