Tuesday, October 12, 2010

When the Clock Strikes Midnight



There comes a time in every novel that I call I Don’t Want To But I Have To. This event usually arrives ¾ into my book; the proverbial story “arc,” where all of the plot points meld. In my books this means all the protagonist’s foibles merge, and then she or he gets a big whack. After that comes the exciting conclusion (hopefully) and final resolutions.

The trouble is, I don’t much like writing the big whack. But it is absolutely necessary. Let’s face it, it’s not too interesting to read about someone living a stress-free life. Conflict is more exciting. You don’t hear much about Cinderella’s life after she gets married, for example. Small domestic squabbles don’t make for page turners, at least, not for me. I’m guessing Cindy and Prince argued over how many dresses that silver tree shook down for her. In the original tale. Read it sometime. Much better than the Disney version.

Anyway, I know there must be a story arc, I know my protagonist must reap what she has sown, I know this makes for exciting reading after the sad part is completed, but I don’t want to. By this point I care about her. I want her to be happy. And perhaps she will be, but first…WHACK!

The other interesting thing for me as a writer is that I know in general terms what the learning will consist of, but I never know for sure until I write it. That’s uncomfortable, because sometimes those scenes are more debilitating, horrifying, or unexpected than I had ever imagined.

But I must. Connor, my detective from my new book, must plow into what my readers will know she is heading for even if she doesn’t. To do otherwise wouldn’t be fair, and wouldn’t make for a good read.

I’ll try to be gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment