Friday, October 29, 2010

Samantha



I love the TV show Bewitched. Yes, I know it’s dated; the eternal question of why such a magical, beautiful, talented, and smart woman would give up everything to marry a rather cranky and ordinary man seems old fashioned and perhaps a bit sexist.

But Samantha, in many ways, was a ground breaking woman. I never once believed Sam felt trapped. She chose to be with her mortal husband. And I do believe this was the first major representation of a pretty witch, aka, a woman who was powerful and sexy in the same package.

But she did struggle to balance her need for love and her desire to express her natural gifts, something women were just beginning to address back when this show was created. And still do today.

This show inspires me. My female characters are always strong. They can take care of themselves. But sometimes they long for someone to take care of them.

I consider myself an independent and capable women. But there have been times in my life I wanted someone to swoop me up on a white horse, although I would have never admitted it. I would bet many women have had similar thoughts, if only for a fleeting moment.

One could argue this female see-saw is nurture or nature and I’m not sure it really matters, at least, as far as writing goes. Woman, because of their unique internal battles, make fabulous protagonists.

Thanks, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment